A day in the life...

Monday, July 02, 2007

and now for something completely different

It is with a sad but peaceful heart that I let you all know that we have decided not to run a DTS this autumn.

We have been contacting all of the prospective students and letting them know, please be praying for spiritual protection for them as they deal with the consequences of this decision. We do not want this to be a place for the enemy to discourage them, but a time for them to draw close to God.

We hope that they will go on to do a DTS at another location, and have been recommending them to a couple that we know have similar vision and location to us. However, I am aware of how much goes into choosing a location in the first place and want to continue to be sensitive as I have conversations with the students in this time.

As a base, the coming year will look very different as we head out in different directions. We want to continue to meet together, encouraging one another at the same time as learning together and growing as staff.

I was having a hard time feeling a little lost in this whole decision, even though I see that we do not have the staff to run a DTS, I still feel like that leaves me lots of open space. A colleague reminded me hat as we are training and discipling others it is key to keep refining and growing personally. I desire to know God in a deeper way in this time, and I know that God will use that to bring fruit.

Please be praying for me as I look ahead to this year and set some personal goals and refine my vision, at the same time as I live and serve this city and my community. I am excited for what this year could be, and also scared that it seems so open. My church has started a series of teaching called 'breathe', alternating the teaching from topics of 'inhaling' activities, such as reading the bible and solitude, and 'exhaling' ones such as generosity and hospitality.

Last night, the message was on hospitality. The Pastor was able to give me a new perspective on the idea of hospitality. He said it was less about cultivating long-term relationships, that is friendship; hospitality is about bridging the gap and sharing life with people you wouldn't necessarily be in relationship without some intentionality. Having someone over for dinner, or simply having conversation where you really listen and really share with someone. That is hospitality. Knowing people without labels, as soon as we put someone on a box, we are no longer practicising hospitality; we are not knocking down walls, but building them up. I am excited to learn more as this series continues, and believe that God has given me this time to really learn more about myself, and the person he has created me to be.

I hope this makes sense, but realise it may not. Please email me if you have any questions, I would be happy to try and answer them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Clayre Turner said...

I know it's a hard decision because I know how much you love DTS (and you do such a good job leading it) but I am sure that God will lead you through this process and I am excited to watch/know the outcome of this journey! New seasons=new lessons! how cool!
Yall are in my prayers and Texas loves you!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home