A day in the life...

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thoughts on Tuesday

I am almost a week into not eating sugar for lent, and boy, it's been a wake up call. The first few days my body was in total withdrawal and was telling me I was hungry when really I think it was just craving sugar, I ate about 6 meals on Wednesday and Thursday. Things have evened out a little but I almost inhaled a bunch of grapes the other day when the sweetness hit my taste buds! I have survived one party so far, a baby shower for my friend Tami. There were pretty cupcakes and pink and white m&m's which normally I would have eaten without a thought.
It has been a good thing for me to go without sugar because I am very conscious of what I eat now and am reminded many times a day that I am not eating sweet things, and then I remember the reason behind it all. Jesus.

We had our first service in our new church building this weekend and it really was a time of celebration. It felt bigger (it is bigger) but it still felt like family. The two bands, which play alternate weeks for the services combined, and the evening choir performed. There was such a sense of community and coming together to celebrate this awesome gift. Of course it will take some time to get used to and a 3-hour long meeting yesterday showed us all that there are some kinks to iron out, but all in all it was a success.

Combining the two previous evening services meant that there were about 500 people at the 5pm service this week. Richard preached on 'soul furniture.' A reminder that the new building is great, and certainly a gift from God but that we must make sure that this space becomes a place of prayer, the word of God, confession and hospitality. We want this new building to be an invitation to people to come broken and be met in love. It is vital that we infuse the space with the character of God. During the final songs we were invited to spread out in groups around the sanctuary, on the stage, in the prayer room etc and pray together that this would be the case for our new building. That it could be a place where people feel safe to come as a broken person and know forgiveness. This time of worship and prayer was really powerful.

On another note, I have a prayer request. As you know I am planning a trip to Mississippi in March, and (praise the Lord) our team has come together. However, we still need to find someone who can be our cook/shopper for the week. It is getting pretty last minute to find someone, and be able to raise their money to come, as well as booking tickets on fights etc. Please pray that God will provide the perfect person to join our team.

It's raining in Seattle today - shocker!

2 Comments:

Blogger Clayre Turner said...

We had a KILLER thunder storm last night! But other than that it hasn't rained much.

Wow....you are BRAVE to give up sugar. I might....oh man. We have cupcakes in my kitchen right now....maybe I will start tomorrow...

Thanks for the update! I will certainly be in prayer for yall!

7:43 PM  
Blogger David Harris said...

I'm proud of you for your self-sugar-denial-thing. I wish i could be your cook in Mississippi. I would never let you eat any sugar. In fact i would replace all the sugar in the food for salt and that would really teach you if you tried to pick up an iced finger! Haha!
I'm glad you liked the picture. In Germany they call jewelery schmuk or something like that anyway.
I love you Chrissie,
D

3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home